One of the most popular & tasty dish from Maharastra. The dish is truely mouth-watering. Handmade bread, coated with butter with a tomato heavy curry, make the magic. Check this perfect Pav-Bhaji recipe.
- Peel the potatoes and cut the cauliflower.
- Chop the capsicum and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Chop the onions in small cube shapes.
- Finely chop the coriander leaves and green chili.
- Cut the lemon in 2 halves.
- Slice onion in ring shape. (for serve)
- Boil the cauliflower and potatoes together in water in a pressure cooker till 2 whistles
- Smash the potates and cauliflower completely into a paste. [Keep aside]
- Heat a pan on medium high flame.
- Add the chopped capsicum and green chili in it.
[Roast for 2 minutes ]
After 2 minutes of roasting, reduce the flame to medium
- Add the fresh peas to it.
[If fresh peas are unavailable, you can use frozen peas]
- Then add the chopped tomatoes to it. Stir for few seconds.
- Add 1/2 tsp roasted fenugreek leaves powder and needed salt.
- Mix them well.
[Now, cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes on low flame]
- After 5 minutes, open the cover and add the smashed potato-cauliflower paste
- Mix the ingredients very well.
- Add 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala powder and half of the Kashmiri red chili powder.
- Again mix the ingredients very well.
- Saute the vegetables for 2-3 minutes.
[To make good pav bhaji, the vegetables must be crushed/smashed finely]
- Take a potato smasher to smoothen the vegetables
[Do the smashing on low flame. Total time on low after adding the boild potato paste is about 10 minutes]
- Shift the smashed vegetables on another container.
- Take the same pan and heat on low-medium flame.
- Add 2 tbsp butter.
- Once the butter melts, add the chopped onions.
- Fry the onions for a minute.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes, so the raw flavour of ginger-garlic paste disappears
- Add the chopped coriander leaves, remaining Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala and little salt.
- Saute for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 tsp roasted fenugreek leaves powder, mix and saute for few seconds
- Add the smashed vegetable to it.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add about 200 ml water to it.
- Mix well and cooking on low-medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
[After 2 minutes, take the pan off. Bhaji is cooked!]
- Heat a pan on low-medium flame.
- Add little butter to the pan.
- Spread the butter and add bread slices.
[Add some butter on top of the breads]
- Bake the bread slightly, so it remains soft
- Turn the breads over and bake the other sides
[Bake all the breads like this]
Your Pav Bhaji is complete. Eat them hot, add little lemon juice to the bhaji to increase the taste. It makes a great snacks and loved by all
Nov 10, 2017
I love cooking and gardening. I am a YouTuber and runs the channel SalmaTheChef!